Just me...

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Are you kidding me...

I just spent the past 6 months bending over backwards for this company and this department. I worked late nights, I worked weekends, I used my own personal resources to validate things for this company because their network is soooo bad that it could not support half the testing... using my own personal computer was more stable!! I have never backed down when asked to do things that were not within my responsibilities. And now I ask if I can work from home because as an analyst I am now doing the Project Manager functions in addition to my own and this is the response I get: "There’s no specific due date for this yet. I think it’s probably going to be in June though. We normally don’t allow working from home. " I bend over backwards and asking to work from home to get some peace and quite and less interruptions is now an issue??? HELL NO!! Something is going to change. I am so frustrated right now, and quite honestly I'm not giving my all anymore, I'm simply going to do my job and let's see how much they appreciate that. Companies just don't realize how much of a difference they can make if they just listen. This is a progressive workforce and some companies get it. And I guess some just don't. If I get asked to stay late, I'll just say I can't, if I get asked to work over time, I'll just say I'm busy, it's not like I get over time anyway. Screw this. I know I'm in some kind of mood right now.Maybe the fact that I locked my keys in the trunk this morning while filling up my car with gas in an effort to get to work EARLIER is what started this day the way it's going...only to find out that when I called AAA and they came out, the guy told me since the keys are in the trunk that he could not open the car because it would set the alarm off and the fact that I did not have the keys to disalarm it we wouldn't be able to open the trunk! Well, great! I don't have a spare, they're at home. He has to drive me home, I have to track down a manager because my apartment keys were in the car and of course the leasing office to my apartments are closed becuase it's still to early in the morning. And this guy from AAA is kindly waiting for me to get all this (he doesn't have to do any of this) and I finally get the manager and the keys, but yeah....that's been my morning!!!

Here we go, I just got a phone call from someone asking a technical question for the application we are trying to build and I just passed it on to someone else. This is the beginning of my lack of interest in this place. And they will see a difference. Just telling me that I've made such a difference since I've started here is not enough. Now you have to start showing me. My review is coming up in a couple of weeks. I will have a few things to say.

8 Comments:

  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger Jez Chill said…

    We all want to work from home.

    Could the main source of your frustration be because you don't have instant message access at work and you want it?

     
  • At 8:10 AM, Blogger desertrose said…

    Michael i don't want to read that twice! Just kidding:) but you hit the nail right on the head, you are exactly right! Cutting my IM was bad lol...but when I ask to work from home to work on things that is over my job duties and then all of the sudden "it's normally not allowed" when my bosses are ALWAYS at home because the plumber has to come fix something or work needs to be done on the house, and I just really want to work on something to produce a good product, that is when I begin to have some problems. And another thing, working from home wasn't such an issue with the network at this company is so shoddy that a simple test could not be performed, there are issues there too:)

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger Jez Chill said…

    Face it, in corporate America, we're white collar slaves. When you work the man, they will always ensure they juice all the little work they can out of you. When my company found out that we're all IM'ing folks, they took it away. Then they found out we use our personal e-mail, they took that away. Used to have Flex time. But how can I be upset at my personal inconveniences when they are all distractions to doing my job? As for pay, my take is, if you're underpaid, there's another job out there that will pay you what you're worth. Quit, or have your job match. And certainly, if you're underpaid, don't take on more responsiblity than your pay warrants. :-)

     
  • At 6:24 AM, Blogger desertrose said…

    Yes, well I am not us upset about the IMing as I am about the "work from home" conversation and the do projects that really warrent creating another position and not getting paid. I am looking on the outside and make my contacts, I will be sure to keep everyone posted:).

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger courtney said…

    awww damn...lol....use AIM Express...it's web based, so you dont have to download anything to your CPU at work. I use to use that when i would be at my friend's house. He had a work at home laptop that they monitored....

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger desertrose said…

    courtney...i have been using AIM express all along, and some how they got that blocked too...any other suggestins for me? :)

     
  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger Rainmayun said…

    easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

    then too, easier to find another job when you already have one...

     
  • At 4:04 PM, Blogger desertrose said…

    rainmayun...you are absolutely right, it easier to look for a job when you already have one, hence the reason I have not already WALKED from this place:). Let's jut hope I can make it a little longer!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home